Gem Diamonds Recovers 202 Ct Diamond at Letšeng; Seventh 100 Ct+ Stone Found in 2017

719
gem diamonds 202 ct

Gem Diamonds Limited has recovered a high quality 202 carat, D colour Type IIa diamond from the Letšeng mine in Lesotho.

This is the seventh diamond of over 100 carats to be recovered to date in 2017 from Letšeng, described by the Company as “the highest dollar per carat kimberlite diamond mine in the world”.

Since Gem Diamonds acquired the mine (in which it has a 70% interest; with the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho holding the other 30%), the Company has recovered 100 diamonds of over 100 carats. Amongst these gems are: the iconic 603 carat Lesotho Promise; the 550 carat Letšeng Star; the 493 carat Letšeng Legacy; the 357 carat Letšeng Dynasty; and the 314 carat Letšeng Destiny. The mine has also produced rare pink and blue diamonds.

The last big diamond found at the mine, it will be remembered, was a 115 carat diamond, the recovery of which was announced in September this year.

Apart from Lesotho, Gem Diamonds has a presence in Botswana where it has the Ghaghoo mine, which has been placed under care and maintenance since March 2017. Earlier this year, the Company said it had received a conditional offer to acquire the Ghaghoo mine for which a process of due diligence is underway.

Pic Cap: The high quality 202 carat, D colour Type IIa diamond from the Letšeng mine in Lesotho.

News Source: gjepc.org

Disclaimer: This information has been collected through secondary research and TJM Media Pvt Ltd. is not responsible for any errors in the same.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here